Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Vacation, working out, and my challenges...

Countdown: 26 days
It's good to be home! I missed my home, my gym, and well, not work lol... I still can't believe that I am already in the middle of week 9 of 12 of this challenge.

I was able to "eat out" succesfully on vacation and supplemented with both protein bars and my Myoplex shakes for the on the move meals. I would highly suggest for anyone travelling to bring some protein bars. There were times I thought I would have time to mix a shake and didn't, but since I had the bars I chomped away and kept to my eating times. Good example would be on the actual flight or in flight, I just opened one up and ate up. I think the hardest part was drinking my normal water intake. We spent a few days at Disney World and it was hard to drink that much water and then be in a line or on a ride and have to use the bathroom lol... I did bring my own Camelbak water bottle that holds over 24 ozs and bought a clip for my back pack to hold it when I wasn't using it. We also bought gallons of water, whether one single gallon or the 2.5-3.5 gal water spouts. This was good for the whole family.

Eating out has it's bad side, I had quite the few mental battles with myself on what to eat. It's amazing that knowing what you should eat and what you shouldn't order, that you still have to fight the urge. A few times up until it was my turn to place my order I would want to order the bad food, I just can't believe the mental battle this was. I sometimes wasn't sure what was actually going to come out of my mouth when I ordered lol... but I did good and did the right thing. It's easy to order out, just stick to fish, chicken, and lean steaks. Have them prepared broiled or grilled, but ask for them dry if you don't want the seasoning or oils to be used. Almost every place has steam vegetables, I tended to stick to the brocolli and green beans, but loved the medley which included zucchini, summer squash, pea pods, etc. Carbs are easy, rice (brown if they have), potatoes, etc. Just watch your portion controls. Lucky for me my fist is pretty big, but there were times I didn't have enough protein and lucky for me the wife had leftover grilled chicken. At times I even scrounged my 3 yr olds leftover vegetables. Lucky for me, his fist is small lol :)

Workouts, I had it in my mind that I would find a gym and do what I needed to and I did. The only drawback I found was that they were not 24 hrs. I never realized how much the flexibility on hours helps me be successful at home. When everyone else is in there down time, I can sneak out and do work. Lucky for me, when I was at Disney, I only had to do cardio. I did 2 miles outside and tried HIIT. Of course with my luck it was 34 degrees, but I still did it, I wanted to quit so bad, but I kept talking myself into just doing it. It's the first time I have probably run outdoors since high school football and I was like this stinks! In reality it did not, I conquered. The hardest part for me was how do you pace your 5 or 6 mph like you do on a treadmill? You can't. What I did was walk one minute, jog a minute, run a minute, and run as hard as I could for a minute. It worked for me as I was pushing myself pretty good. I ran from my hotel to the guard gate and boy was I ever happy to see that gate. I touched and spun and repeated on my way back, only to realize, I still had another mile to go lol... running outside was a different experience and something I will eventually enjoy, but I definitely felt it more in my feet, knees, and lower back.

My vacation list recommendations:
- Look for a gym prior to your vacation, find out what your options are where you are staying, try for a 24 hr gym. I paid about $32 for a weekly membership at a local gym.
- Supplements, bring protein bars, shakes, and a shaker. These really helped keep me on track. Maybe do some research if there is a near by Vitamin Shop, FitRX, or other reasonable supplement shop that you can purchase your stuff at or just bring it with. I had to bring a carry on to bring all my supplements, but well worth it.
- Bring a water botttle and a clip to hang on your carry on. When you get to your destination, buy water in bulk with a spout so you can just refill as necessary and use for your shakes. I was also able to use at many water fountains!
- Don't forget your workout attire, mp3 player, gloves, shorts, shirts!
- Think ahead of what you will be doing eating out. Make sure you understand what you can and can't eat. Don't be scared to ask for other options for fried sides.
- Tell everyone your traveling with your goals!  Sad to say, but sometimes this helped me stay on track.  As I did, you also get the compliments of staying on track, which make you want to stay on track even more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment