Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fluctuating weight...

Countdown: 12 days

First off, I broke my blog :(  I can't figure out how to fix it and although the layout template has it the way it should be, it's just not displaying that way.   All my picture and link widgets are down at the bottom now, major frustration!  I was pretty upset last night about my tweaked back and was so exhausted reading some of my new blogger BFL friends posts that I forgot to post something that was on my mind.  I have seen my weight fluctuate a few times during this challenge, but before we go there, I'll give you a quick recap of my day.  When I originally heard my alarm this monring, I snoozed it because I had been tossing and turning all night and I could still feel my pinched nerve.  Today was HIIT with the additonal 20 minutes cardio and I thought, no way it's happening.  So I went back to sleep.  A few hours later my son was doing his routine morning pouncing on daddy to wake up when I realized that I should at least give it a try.  I made it to the gym hopped on the treadmill and away I went.  I'm not going to lie, it was miserable and continued for the first six minutes, but then I crossed into that area of being in a zone.  Focused, determined, seeing my reflection in the monitor and reminding myself of why I was here.  HIIT complete and onto another 20 minutes of low/ moderate intensity.  Before I knew it, I was done, felt good and accomplished.  It's still bothering me and the weight lifting belt is on super tight again for support.  I will be careful, but hope to make it the rest of the week without making it worse.  I see the light at the end of the tunnel, can't stop now.

Twice in this challenge my Sunday morning weigh in varied from my Monday weigh in and both times was after my cheat day.  The first time I was five pounds off... surely the scale was wrong, no way I had gained that in one day.  I was horrified, but I do remember over indulging in many foods and was heavy on the carbohydrate side.  That cheat day night, I drank so much water hoping that somehow it would magically help make the cheat day disappear.  Tuesday weigh in same story not much change and the guilt began to sink in.  I really sabotaged my hard work.  Wednesday I couldn't even get on the scale, but Thursday I did.  To my surprise, I was back down to my weigh in weight from the previous Sunday.  Matter of fact, by the following week weigh in, I lost an additional few pounds.  I remember just shaking my head and just being happy, but I couldn't stop thinking what if I had just had a good cheat day, would I have lost more weight?  I guess I will never know...  but that leads me to Monday of this week.  I hopped on the scale and too my surprise it read 250, really, 250?  3 lbs in one day?  Come on, here we go again!   I indulged in a huge flour tortilla burrito filled with rice, cheese, sour cream and then had some chocolate covered popcorn, some chocolate cake, appetizers at dinner, oh my... I did it again, I sabotaged my great progress.  So the last few days I've tried not to worry as much about it as I did last time.  Since the first time of fluctuating weight, I remember reading on Hussman Fitness website about how it's not uncommon for this to happen, especially if you indulge on too many carbs on cheat day.  Apparently your body tends to hold my water during this time.  Eventually, everything returns to normal.  I kept thinking about that article and sure enough this morning, there was the happy number of 247 pre-workout, sweet, back on track.  Just need to get through this back pain now and continue to move forward.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is the salt in the food leading to water retention and not the actual calories...you still have to eat 3500 extra calories to gain a pound. The law of physics haven't changed. It may take a few days to get your body back in order but it is not "real" weight, just scale weight. Avoid the salt and I bet it won't happen as drastically

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've seen the same thing happen and I agree that it's salt and carbs. I don't think that it would be physically possible to gain five pounds in a day! But don't try. :)

    Did I see that you have a three year old son? So do I. They're awesome. Today I bought him Lego Star Wars underwear and he pumped his fist in the air and said, "YES! Those are my FAVORITE!". I'm glad you and I are getting fit so that we can keep up with these guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a challenge? lol, no way I'm trying that one out. Yes, I have a wonderful 3 yr old and we just recently had a new addition as well, who is almost 5 months old. They keep us on our toes.

      My three year old is infatuated with Cars, we actually have to stop letting him watch Cars 2, just a little more impressionable with the violence on him. He loves all those underwear too!

      Delete