Thursday, January 19, 2012

Post-exercise Protein

Countdown: 18 days


On John Hussman Fitness page (supporter of BFL) there was great information on a study about post-exercise protein and how a study has shown that taking immediately after work out can help with my goals of fat loss and maintaining muscle mass.  I won't pretend to be the expert, but you can read more about it here: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TFPostProtein.html

I ended up picking up a 4 gallon tub of strawberry protein yesterday at the gym as I was leaving and have figured based on the nutritional information that half a scoop will cover the appropriate amount This should be good for like 140 workouts lol.  On the way to the gym this morning I picked up an apple juice to mix it all in my little shaker.  Didn't know how apple juice and strawberry protein would taste like and was not looking forward to it.  I mixed it all up after my workout using 1 oz of juice, about 9 oz water, and my protein.  Shake, shake, shake, and WOW, it was like an orgasmic feeling in my mouth!  POW!  Then I went off to the bike to do 20 minutes of low intensity cardio and kept my BPM to no more than 120.

Good workout, good day.  Back in tomorrow morning for my next HIIT on the treadmill and hope to do another 20 minutes of low intensity cardio following that, wish me luck!  I'll be supplementing with my protein post workout, but will only be using water and no apple juice on cardio days.

2 comments:

  1. That Hussman fitness site is great! Thanks for suggesting! I now am making it part of my routine to have about 50 cals of pure protein ppowder handy in my gym bag everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I'm just glad that all the hours of internet surfing in the middle of the night can benefit others! ;) In all honesty, I found Hussman Fitness at just the right time. I may have thrown in the towel if I hadn't, but it has helped keep me focused, as I hope it helps you too. It's all about progress, not perfection!

    ReplyDelete