Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Holy Grail --> Hussman Fitness - BFL Support - Why the Body for Life Program Works

Countdown: 19 days

It's funny how things work, up one day and down another.  I have made great progress but over the last few days it seemed like I was unorganized with my nutrition and I was flying more by the seat of my pants.  Was this it?  Was I breaking?  Could this be the end?  Is this how others went down?  Looking in the mirror, it's obvious to me that my body fat percentage goal is not attainable in the amount of time I have left for this challenge(or is it? lol), but will require some more time to get to.  With less than three weeks left, I really need to be spot on with what I eat and how I workout.  I need to up the cardio, but don't want to overtrain either.  So yesterday I was able to find a website By John P. Hussman, Ph.D who completed BFL and also did some research into past winners routines and many aspects of how nutrition and fitness and BFL all fit together.  Thank you http://www.google.com/.  This is a great resource if you want to know more about BFL like I did and how you can tweak certain aspects.  What got me was his explanation of fat and fat loss, how the body works during this process.  Just great information and I encourage you to at least read this.  I have now read most of the information posted on his website, all great information.

So this morning, I decided to up the cardio and focus on fat loss the next three weeks.  Knowing I have much fat to burn, I based my decision on his suggestion of the max tweak for cardio.  This will most likely prevent additional muscle gain at this point, but will help with my fat loss.  I've already told myself that I will do another challenge, so I can continue with increasing muscle mass then.  I completed my HIIT on the treadmill this morning and added another 20 minutes on top of that per his suggestion.  I originally thought I would be able to run at 5mph to maintain a 6-7 level intensity, but as I checked my BPM, it was apparent that it was too much and realized it was more of a 8-9.  I ended up settling in at 4 mph and tracked it every few minutes to try to stay at 65%-70% of my BPM.  So today was a wonderful 40 minutes of cardio!  I will be adding an additional cardio day on Sunday's with low to moderate intensity and will not add any more HIIT as per his recommendations.  I need to be careful to not offset any fat loss with this additional cardio with additional food calories.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPBodyforLife.html

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great link! Hussman's Body for Life page is super helpful. Now I'm working my way through the rest of his site. You are looking great, by the way! You should put your first photo right next to a current one so that you can really see how far you've come. I'm impressed!!

    ReplyDelete