Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thorn in my side... well back actually, AGAIN.

Countdown: 13 days

I made the trek to the gym this morning and was having a good workout.  I was on my 6 rep set of dumbell bench press (yes, my first exercise) and went to grab the 80 lb set.  I grabbed on, twisted and bent my knees to grab the other and just as I grabbed it everything came to a halt.  Seriously, I am SO TIRED of tweaking my back!  I didn't even tweak it lifting and I was being careful, as I have tweaked it ironing a shirt (please don't laugh at me... but you are welcome to laugh with me lol).  Being the macho type now, you know since I "work out" I sucked it up got on the bench and managed to push out 5 of 6 before my muscles were screaming and went backwards back at me instead of up where I was pushing.  I picked them up (No, I didn't drop them and let out a loud grunt) and re-racked them and immediately did every lower back stretch I could think of.  I took the knuckles of my fist and dug them deep to where the pain was.  I'm sure I was grimmacing from the pain pretty bad... but in all the disgust, I managed to catch a quick glimpse of this good looking guy in the mirror checking me out with some pretty nice looking arms... wow, I haven't even started my triceps or biceps and I'm looking all buff and stuff ;)  Realizing I was gawking at myself, I stopped before anyone realized I was checking myself out lol... back to the pain.  I cranked out the rest of my sets and reps and had a pretty good work out, but had to deal with the sharp pain in my lower back the whole time.  It's been following me around all day and only feeling worse.  I was limping around with a slight hesitation, it's a pinched nerve alright.  When I got home I threw on my weight lifting belt and put in on soo tight that I can barely breathe, but it puts pressure right where I need it to make it not bother me so much.  One good note, is that I no longer have fat pouring over the side of my belt anymore, I actually look decent with it on now lol.  I have HIIT cardio with my extended 20 min low/ moderate intesity cardio and yes, I am worried that I'm going to be running with pain.  This better not put a damper on my workout in the morning, I refuse.  I may just bring my belt just in case I need to have it for support.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, that sounds awful! That's so unfair when injuries or illnesses make working out harder and more painful. You want to say to your body, "Look, I'm doing what I can for you. Work with me, here.".

    I had to laugh (with you) at you catching a nice sight in the mirror. I've done that while on the treadmill. I look over at the mirror and admire my newfound collar bone. Then I look away before anyone notices and thinks I'm a narcissist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case you're looking for something that may assist your back (even though you didn't technically ask...) I have had trouble with my left hip being very painful after cardio on my bike. It is due to a sciatic nerve issue. One handling I have done is soaking in Epsom salts for about 20-30 minutes each night. After about a week the pain was barely noticeable and very manageable now.

    It's tough to push through injuries but I have done it myself! Hang in there. Getting off the weight will probably help in the future. That is one thing I am hoping for at least. :-)
    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jason for the suggestion may just have to give this a shot. I've lived with this for a long time since I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, sounds much worse than it is, but basically just wear and tear, but sounds like you most likely know what is too. I've been looking for ways to stretch it and found a good one this morning and will continue to utilize this technique for it. I just don't want it to hamper me finishing this, goal is ahead and staying focused. Once it does go away, I'm going to add some lower back exercises in to help avoid this going forward.

    ReplyDelete