Thursday, January 5, 2012

Social dinners, started to get to me...

Through all these weeks eating out has not been an issue for me.  I know what I need to order and how I need to order, but Thursday night I think I reached a breaking point, maybe even a milestone point for me.  As I sat for dinner staring at the menu all I could think about was everything I shouldn't be eating.  I was also confused with what do I eat, I still have to work out, so a salad with turkey would be good or do I go with fish and the healthy sides.  All this went out the window when they brought out the fresh rolls glazed with butter and the butter cups with sugar.  If someone would have taken my picture, I swear I must have been drooling.  My nieces ordered ribs, there was homemade chicken pot pies, pasta with Alfredo, Mac and cheese, diet Cokes... And then there was my salad.  I must have gotten quiet, as the wife asked me what was wrong and of course I responded with nothing.  After dinner out came the slices of pies with an array of flavors.  Hard gulp and deep breath here.  I will tell you, that I survived the night, but almost at my breaking point, i almost did not.  A salad has never taken me so in depth into it's flavors as I let it that night.  I savored the lettuce and tomatoes with the avocado, the turkey.  When it was time to leave, I said my goodbyes, and took my children to get strapped in the car.  My wife got in the car and again asked if I was okay and again  I said yes, but I will talk to her later about it.  This is when it dawned on me that my mood must have changed through dinner and she noticed, all because of the deep conflict I was having with myself and all the foods that I wanted but could not have.  I accepted that I have an issue with food tonight and that it is trying to control me.  I was also willing and able to talk about it to my best friend, my wife.  Her encouraging support of course made me feel good about what I am doing in this challenge and how this needs to be a life change as I do not want to go back to where I started.
In addition to this enlightenment, I didn't have the time to workout tonight.  By the time I got the family home and situated for unpacking, I only had time to take my son with me and pay for the week pass at the gym as they closed at 10 pm and I only had 15 minutes. I will adjust my schedule the remainder of this week to complete my workouts starting first thing in the morning.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment